Arts and Culture
This committee is responsible for presenting inspiring elements of the arts to the Georgia State University student body. The committee will manage the monthly exhibits on display in the Student Center Gallery Lounge and conduct art-focused programs. They will coordinate efforts with the Rialto Center for the Arts to let students know of events happening on Georgia State’s campus. Potential events include, but are not limited to, Gallery Lounge art exhibits, student art competitions, and international food truck festivals.
Gallery Lounge Art Exhibits
The Gallery Lounge is a student-run art gallery that provides Georgia State University students a place to professionally display their artworks. The gallery exhibits four or more shows of student work per semester. The Student Art Gallery is to foster the appreciation and experience of the visual arts while engaging the college community in learning opportunities and supporting cultural and artistic diversity.
Panthers at the Rialto Program – $5 Tickets Thur., 3/3/2022 – Sat., 5/21/2022
Through a partnership with Student Life and Spotlight, your student fees help provide $5 tickets to all Georgia State students for Rialto Series events through the Panthers at the Rialto Program. The discount tickets may be purchased the week of the show only at the Rialto Box Office between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. For more information call 404-413-9849.
Student Art Competition
The Student Art Competition is an excellent way for Georgia State students to showcase their personal art and work. This year’s 7th annual competition will take place on Thursday, November 11 from Noon to 4 p.m. in the Gallery Lounge where the artworks will be judged and displayed for the campus to see. Winners will receive cash prizes and have the potential to be purchased by the Student Center to be displayed on the walls as part of its permanent collection. The deadline to submit artwork using this PIN form is October 29 at 11:59 p.m.
- October 21: Application closes at 11:59 p.m.
- October 27: Email is sent regarding the status of submissions. Entries selected to advance to the competition will receive info on the final steps.
- November 2 & 3: Artwork drop off to Student Center East 316
- November 11 – 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.: Voting takes place
- November 11 – 12 – 5 p.m. (Voting) 5-6 p.m. (Reception) Winners announced at the reception and social media
Photography: Images captured by either an analog or digital camera
Painting: Art created by applying pigment to a two-dimensional surface
Sculpture: Three-dimensional art objects created by carving, casting, or other shaping techniques
Ceramics: Objects made from ceramics or glass
Drawing and Graphic Design: Art that is manually drawn on a two-dimensional surface or visual concepts, created by using computer software or by hand.
Mixed Media and Textiles: Artwork that is created with two or more mediums
GUIDELINES FOR APPLICANTS
- An applicant must be a current student of Georgia State University on any campus.
- The applicant will review and understand all accompanying policies and guidelines.
SPECIFICATIONS & LIMITATIONS
- Artists can only submit one piece for review.
- An artist can not submit the same piece for a different category.
- Artists do NOT have to be art majors or have an art background to compete.
- Art can and should be expressive, educational, and/or exciting, but not intentionally offensive or pornographic.
RESPONSIBILITY OF ARTIST
- The artist is responsible for all costs of creating artwork.
- The artist is responsible for dropping off artwork during the specified time frame and picking artwork up at the conclusion of the competition. If the artist is not able to, they are responsible for finding someone to represent them.
- If the artist or a designated representative does not pick up the artwork at the required time, Spotlight and Georgia State University may not be held responsible for any damage to or storage of the artwork.
- If the artist would like their work considered for the Student Center’s Choice Award, it must be able to be hung on a wall.
- The Georgia State University community will be voting on their favorite piece within each category. At the conclusion of the competition, votes will be counted and the top two pieces in each category will win a prize package.
- There will be a first and second place prize recipient in each category.
- First place (Juror’s Choice): $75
- Second place (Student’s Choice): $50
- Special Prize: Student Center’s Choice- The Student Center will pick their favorite piece from all submissions and with permission from the artist it will then will be on display permanently in the Student Center. The Student Center’s winning piece must be framed before being added to the Student Center’s permanent art collection.